Clayton Village


Key dates in the Clayton Village Story...


1066
Clayton originally settled as a Saxon farming settlement and is referred to in Doomsday records of 1086 as Claitone which - translates as literally meaning Farmstead on Clay.

1086
Manor of Claitone granted to Ilbert de Lacy by William the Conqueror

16th Century
Town Bottom farm house (the oldest building remaining in Clayton) built

1770 - 1820
The Development of Townend takes place reflecting the argricultural and industrial activity in the village

Late 1700's
Farmer Clothiers built weavers cottages around Town End and sold cloth in Halifax

1815 - 1830
Construction of cottages at Green end

1819
"First Village School opened (now the Library). The building was originally used as a School, Sunday School and a place of worship"

1830
Baptist Chapel established in Clayton Lane

1834
Weselyan Methodist Church established in Clayton Lane

1842
Clayton Parish Created

1845
Beck Mills Opened for Textile manufacture by John Milner & Co.

1851
St John the Baptist Church built

1858
Clayton Co-Operative Society formed

1859
Clayton Village Primary School opened

1860
Beck Mill leased to J Benn & Co

1862
Clayton Penny Bank Opened

1860's
Wells placed in the village by 'Clayton Local Board' marking the junction of roads to Bradford, Halifax and Thornton. (Now the roundabout between Town End and Green End)

1865
"Gas Works established in Low Lane serving Clayton, Allerton and Thornton"

1870
Oak Mills Opened by J Benn and Co for Textile manufacture on Station Road

c1870
Baptist Sunday school opened at Green End now Holly Park Residential Home

1873 - 1898
J Benn & Co build housing for workers at Oak Mills. These houses now form the streets around the Village Hall

1877
Village Hall erected. This building was originally built to house the Clayton Liberal Club

1878
Methodist Sunday school built on Clayton Lane - this is now the site of Drumhill Works

1878
Clayton Railway station opened in Pasture Lane by Great Northern Railway. The station provided services to Bradford, Halifax and Keighley

1880
Clayton Fireclay Works Opened

1890's
Water and Sewage works established for Clayton residents

1892
New Baptists Church Erected. This, when constructed was comparable in size to St Johns Parish church

1892
Conservative Club built.

1896
Exclusive commuter housing constructed in Chrishaben Park. The development was named after the developer Harrison Benn [son of Joseph Benn] and his wife Christina.

1897
Clayton Board school built on land originally intended for housing development at Chrisharben Park. The board school later became Clayton Middle

1897
"Clayton Green transformed into Victoria Park to celebrate the Diamond jubillee of Queen Victoria. The conversion was funded by public subscription.

1898
Pavillion erected in Victoria Park

19th Century
Throughout the 19th century the textile industry and stone quarrying continued to be the main industries in Clayton

Early 1920's
Woodland to the North of the village was removed to create a new route, to Queensbury and Halifax, and new houses on the Avenue.

1920
Clayton's only cinema, the Clayton Picture House (subsequently to be called The Rialto), opens on Station Road.
...more...

1926
Bowling Green and Cenotaph erected in Victoria Park

1930
Clayton incorporated into Bradford

1942
Oak Mills closes

1955
Great Northern railway closes to passengers

1965
Great Northern railway closes to freight

1969
Clayton Fireclay Works closes

1977
The Core of Clayton Village designated a conservation area

1982
The original Clayton Baptist Church is demolished due to dry rot. A new church is erected in its place 2 years later.


For more detailed History of Clayton visit the Clayton History Group's website at:
http://www.communigate.co.uk/brad/claytonhistorygroup/

 

Disclaimer: Views and Opinions expressed on this website do not necessarily represent the views of Clayton Parish Council. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is subject to change at any given time. This site is intended only to give general information about Clayton Village and Clayton Parish Council. While every effort is made to post only accurate information, the website does not guarantee that the information posted is always current or correct.